Haven’t gotten around to building my own conveyor, but a neighbor offered this one on semi-permanent loan. The kind of arrangement where, if he needs it, he’ll come back and get it.
The axle is only good for field transport, as I realized after burning all the grease out of the bearings on a short road trip. And that at slow speed.
Having no prior experience with conveyors, I ran most of this spring’s production through it, making notes of all the things that needed improvement/repair. It has no proper hitch, indeed chute, or drive chain protection. From time to time the splits that fall off close end wind up in the chains, which then derail or break.
Joining the side brackets.
Mud flap keeps some of the debris from going to the stockpile.
This thing hastens progress with the small splitter.
Infeed trough needs taller sides to avoid spillover.
Don’t have much clearance between hitch and truck. A longer removable drawbar sorted that out.I was running the conveyor off a generator, as it came to me with an electric motor. The generator desperately needs a ring job, and the fuel consumption is higher than it should be.
This Honda motor showed up for $80 on Craigslist. Don’t really need that much HP, but the price was right. Needed a fuel tank (available from Surplus Center on the cheap), and a section of fuel line, but fired right up. Buyer reduced the price to $60 without prompting…
Turns out it also needed a coil, but that was no big expense, and simple to replace. Also interchangeable with the motor on my portable compressor.
View of chain reduction drive. Parts from Surplus Center. Chain is the same size as the pump drive on the processor.
I can pull start the conveyor without difficulty, so no clutch is needed. If the flites jam, (as they do from time to time) the belt slips on the small drive sheave. At some point I need to set up a remote emergency ignition shutoff at the processor controls.No pictures, but I also replaced the running gear on the conveyor. The original was a ‘farm and field’ axle, and the bearings overheated after a few short trips over the road. I had a spare ‘no brakes’ Dexter axle removed from my car carrier trailer that fit perfectly once narrowed.
That also took care of the mismatched and dry-rotted tires.